Swirl Marks on Car; what you need to know
Seeing swirl marks on your new car is very disappointing. Though swirl marks are very common and hard to avoid, you can take some steps to avoid and remove these circular patterns from your vehicle.
What Do Swirl Marks Look like?
Circular micro-scratches on a car’s clear coat are called swirl marks that can be formed by a tiny mistake like washing your car’s particular portion in circular motion without the right lubricant, states best auto paint correction agency in GTA. Debris can be another reason that causes swirl marks in the form of v-shaped cuts at a very microscopic level. These jagged cuts or v-shaped cuts are engraved into the clear coat of your car. Swirls are caused due to many reasons including inappropriate washing and drying tools and techniques. The most common mistakes are as follows:
- Using the wrong buffing pad for polishing the car surface.
- Hard polishing compounds or polyester thread applicators.
- Getting your car washed by automated car washes as they use harsh brushes and wipers.
- Using a dry towel to clean off dirt.
- Not rinsing your car properly before washing or not rinsing your sponge frequently while washing.
- Using a dirty fabric to cover your car
- Not drying your car well before covering.
How Can You Avoid Swirl Marks
Though you can minimize swirl marks by using the right washing tools and techniques, it is impossible to get rid of them fully. Practice following tips by auto paint correction agency in GTA to keep marks away from your favourite car.
- Make sure you use the right kind of washcloth and cleanser.
- Rinse your car to remove dirt and debris before you start washing it. This will reduce the chances of scratches on your car’s surface that can be caused by existing debris.
- Wash your car with a clean washcloth dipped in soapy water. Do not directly pour cleansing agent over the car surface. You can use one bucket with soapy water and another with clean water.
- Make sure you do not use towels to dry your car. It is better to use a hose of water to clean any soap from the surface and use a high-grade microfiber cloth to clean.
- Alternatively, you can also use a leaf blower to wave off water particles as it removes more than 90% of the water from the surface.
- Less physical contact with your car while drying is better.
- It may sound weird but even waxing can cause swirl marks on your car surface as the process involves a lot of scrubbing. To avoid this, it is wise to use spray wax and use a microfiber cloth to gently wipe off the surface.
How to Remove Swirl Marks
It is best to connect with a professional auto paint correction agency in GTA. However, you can polish the paint with a buffer to reduce swirl marks from your car. Though it is hard to remove the microscopic scratches at home, some products can temporarily cover the swirl marks. Buffing your car paint well using proper precautions can save the day but it is better to get them removed by professionals. In case of a DIY buffing process, make sure the surface looks glossy and silky and then apply wax and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth.